It doesn’t matter if its sports, business or relationships of any kind, one should be curious why some are successful and others are not. Success of course can be defined in many ways as it truly lies in the eye of the beholder.
For this article, let’s think about the Chicago Bulls, New England Patriots, Apple Computer, or your grand parents who have been married for 50+ years.
First and foremost, mutual respectd, a common bond and understanding between the players is the glue that keeps teams together. Teams as such cover each others weaknesses and are in it together through thick and thin.
Having spent time on bad teams and have had the opportunity to build high performance teams, I know the difference and will share with you the key ingredients to drive both success and performance.
Key ingredients for performance:
- Unified Vision where clarity rules the day
- Right People/Right Roles where each possesses the skills/knowledge needed to succeed
- Teams needs to understand what it is they are aiming for and how it benefits the team by establishing meaningful metrics and incentives
- Team members need to be accountable to self, team and organization with established consequences for non-compliance
- Take countermeasures for non-performance – an alternate action is required to drive change
Next week, once your are settled in, take a few moments and evaluate your teams against these five steps and be brutally honest with yourself. Success is not guaranteed however ensuring the right ingredients and actions are taken, will set your team up for success and performance.
Try it out and let me know how it worked out for you!