We all dream of being successful, we all like to reach our God-given potential however there are many things that stand in our way to maximize performance. First and foremost, the most likely bearer to our own success is YOU! Too many of us have dreams and potential however we can’t overcome our own self-imposed limitation due to lack of self-awareness, personality or controlling external factors.
A positude leader would start by identifying these bearers to success and be open-minded to suggestio to fully understand the “Six LIES between you and SUCCESS”!
Let’s take a deeper dive into the six LIES;
- Everything matters equally
- We have been relying on a To-Do list (or Honey-Do) list to make sure that we complete important task. However there’s an embedded lie, not all task are created equally. We need to start creating a “Success-List” using the 80/20 rule
- Multi-tasking – to do two things at once is to do neither – Publilius Syrus
- We can barely chew gum and walk at the same time, forget about doing two important task at the same time. For example, talking on the phone and sending an email at the same time. Sure you can do it however likely neither is getting the attention it requires and often a “redo” is required. Actually, there’s an approximate 30% loss due to redo action related to multi-tasking as well as a potential negative financial consequence
- A disciplined life
- You CAN be successful with less discipline than you think, for one simple reason; success is about doing the right things, not about doing everything right
- Willpower will always be on-call
- Willpower is like a battery, its gets drained as the day progresses, if you don’t recharge during the day, the quality of your work suffers
- A balanced life
- When you are supposed to be working, work. When you are supposed to play, play. Too often, we are out of balance, too much work and not enough play. Be mindful of your physical, mental and psychological well-being
- Big is bad
- You can act like a victim or be victorious. You will limit yourself if you dream small. You ought to dream big and act small daily. So aim HIGH.
Once you have a deep understanding and a true appreciation for the “LIES” between you and “SUCCESS”, you can develop a road to recovery by dreaming big, doing the right things right in order of success while maintaining a balanced life. Similar to your love-tank (The Five Love Languages – Gary Kaplan) your will-power tank needs steady replenishment. I strongly recommend adopting meditation session between 1-2PM each day for about 15-minutes. It will do you a world of good.
P.S. Credit goes to “The ONE Thing” by Gary Keller…. I highly recommend his book. Today’s blog is a blend of his suggestions and my interpretations.